Deputy Foreign Editor – BuzzFeed News (May 2015 – present)
Assigning and editing stories for BuzzFeed News’ international coverage; coordinating and editing breaking news coverage of major developing news (includes Paris and Brussels attacks); liaising with BuzzFeed’s international operations in France, India and Australia among others; judging and editing freelance pitches; reported on the earthquake and its aftermath in Nepal and produced feature stories, news reports and photos.
Digital Foreign Editor – The Washington Post (April 2011 – April 2015)
Oversaw digital strategy for Washington Post’s foreign coverage; Conceptualized and produced multimedia elements for stories coming from 15 bureaus; ran live blogs and continuous online coverage during breaking news events; built and implemented social media strategy; experimented with storytelling and audience engagement on emerging digital platforms; reported from Afghanistan and Nepal and produced photos, videos and articles.
Online Producer – Opinions and Outlook – The Washington Post (Nov. 2009 – March 2011)
Edited and produced multimedia packages for Washington Post’s Opinions and Outlook section; reported on the Maoist rebels in Nepal, and produced video and print stories for the foreign desk; Other duties included conceptualizing and producing special projects, web production, writing and photo editing.
Digital Media Fellow – Atlantic Media Company (Sept. 2008 – Nov. 2009)
Produced video stories for Atlantic.com; Traveled to Afghanistan to report on the British troops and the Afghan police; Helped research, design, write and edit new features and Web sites; Implemented social media in new and existing websites; Worked on a breaking news and analysis aggregation site; Edited the homepage of the Atlantic.com; Edited graphics, art and multimedia across several Atlantic.com.
Multimedia Reporter, Carnegie-Knight Journalism Fellowship – News21 (2008 Summer)
Reported and produced online package on how South Asians in Texas’s 22nd district could affect elections.
Intern, Forbes.com (2007 Summer)
Reported and wrote stories for special projects and did Q&As with CEOs, business leaders and executives.
Intern, Newsweek (2006 Summer)
Interviewed former UN Secretary General; Worked with foreign correspondents and writers to edit weekly stories.
Between 2003 and 2007, wrote articles for the Greeneville Sun (Tennessee), Kathmandu Post and Nepali Times; Worked as a reporter and later editor of the college newspaper at Tusculum College; Worked as a reporting intern for the Himalayan Times in Kathmandu in the spring of 2003.
Columbia University, Graduate School of Journalism, New York, M.S. May 2008
Tusculum College, Greeneville, Tennessee, B.A. English, Magna cum Laude, May 2007
Bard College Program on Globalization and International Affairs, New York, May 2006
Imperial College of London, England, (sophomore year abroad), January 2005 – May 2005
AWARDS & GRANTS
- The Eugene Meyer Award (for reporting from Afghanistan), The Washington Post, 2012
- Pulitzer Center for Crisis Reporting grant (Traveled to Nepal to report on politics and society), 2010, 2011
- Fund for Investigative Journalism grant, 2011
- South Asian Journalists Association Reporting Fellowship (Traveled to Helmand/Kandahar in Afghanistan), 2009
- Henry N. Taylor Award (for the top international student), Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, 2008
- Foreign Press Association Scholarship (won first prize in the national competition), 2008
- Winnick Prize (best story from J-school’s Reporting & Writing seminar), Columbia University, 2007
- Madam Vivian Yen Innovation Fellowship for Young Journalists, Columbia University, 2007
- Bruce G. Batts Award (highest honor for a graduating senior), Tusculum College, 2007
SKILLS and OTHER: Advanced Digital audio/video recording and editing, SLR Photography, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, HTML editing, Social Media Strategy, Audience Development, Eidos and other advanced content management systems
LANGUAGE: English, Hindi and Nepali (fluent), Urdu (conversational)
AFFILIATIONS: South Asian Journalists Association